Bringing a baby into the world is an amazing life event. It's one that should be captured! I wish I would have snapped more of my own round belly. The captured moments of your beautiful belly will bring back all the sweet memories of every hiccup and little kick. It will take you back to when you were dreaming of meeting your little one, finding the right name, and their hair color. It's a time you are going to want to remember and share with your little one once they are a bit older. Having teenagers now, it's great fun to "blow their minds" with the photos of my roundness as they wonder how they fit inside of me at all. If you are thinking about or have recently booked a maternity photo session then the below tips should come in handy as you prepare for your session.
- Schedule your session between 31 and 36 weeks as your tummy should have popped and have a beautiful shape. By booking your maternity session during this time you are also past the discomfort and bloating that happens earlier in the pregnancy.
- We know how important it is to moisturize those knees, elbows and belly but I recommend you do so 1 to 2 hours before your photography session to avoid any shininess or sticky clothing. You should also avoid wearing any tight fitting watches or bracelets that might leave marks on your skin.
- Treat yourself to a neutral or light colored manicure 1 to 2 days prior to your maternity session so that you can take some beautiful shots with your hands on your tummy. These are some of my favorite shots. I also recommend having your partner do the same if they are going to be included in your session.
- If you already have some cute baby items such as shoes, hats, toys, blankets or onesies, bring them along as they make for adorable props. The same applies to family heirlooms. If you have a special locket or photos that you would like to use, bring it along too.
- More and more moms are using their ultrasound photos in their photography sessions. If you aren't too sure whether you want to use it or not, bring it to the shoot anyways and decided on the day. If you are concerned about having your personal information that is located on the ultrasound visible for everyone to see you can relax because there are ways to cover up that information with fingers or frames and of course, I can Photoshop out anything that ends up in shot.
- Take the time to pick the right outfit for the maternity shoot. You should of course be comfortable but make sure that your clothing doesn't detract from your tummy's shape and your natural glow. Avoid large bold patterns or clothing that is too loose. Empire waist drawstrings, flowing tops and wrap dresses are perfect for for enhancing your shape. If you have never considered a maternity gown, look into it. They come in an array of colors and styles. They are great at showcasing your curves in all the right ways. I do have a small selection of colors if you want to borrow one for your session.
If you have any fun ideas or tips that are not included in my list feel free to contact me and let me know. I appreciate new and fresh ideas and if you looking to book a session, I can also do help you out with that!